This page reports only the academic work registered in the databases of the Transport and Mobility Laboratory, and is not necessarily a comprehensive list of the work by Francesco Piu.
Select an item on the menu on the right. If no menu appears, it means that no record is in the database for the moment.
More information may be available here
- Piu, F., Kumar, P., Bierlaire, M., and Speranza, G. (2015). Introducing a preliminary Consists Selection in the Locomotive Assignment Problem, Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review 82:217-237. doi:10.1016/j.tre.2015.07.003
- Robust Optimization of Railway Locomotive Assignment
- Sponsor: Transport and Mobility Laboratory, EPFL
- Team: Michel Bierlaire (PI), Prem Kumar (PM), Francesco Piu
- Period: October 01, 2010-September 30, 2011
- Locomotive assignment at Railway companies is a complex problem that must optimally assign a set of locomotives to known, scheduled trains. Each train has a power and traction requirement and locomotives may be available in groups known as "consist". There is a cost involved in breaking or adding a locomotive to a consist. Determining an optimal locomotive assignment that would also be robust to handle delays, maintenance requirements and other unknown factors is a complex problem. We are inspired from the research in a similar, closely related subject in the airline industry and would explore the possibilities of extending the same to railways. This project would be a part of the larger concept of "Flexible Transportation Systems"
- Recherche opérationnelle
- Year: Spring 2011
- Section(s): Civil Engineering, Environmental Sciences and Engineering
- Lecturer: Michel Bierlaire
- Teaching assistant: Mamy Fetiarison, Francesco Piu
- Webpage: http://transp-or.epfl.ch/courses/ro2011/